Friday, September 14, 2007

"September"

From the poem "September" by Helen Hunt Jackson.....


"The goldenrod is yellow;
The corn is turning brown;
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down."



I hear so many say that this approaching fall season is their favorite time of the year. I will include myself in that group. The words above do not express what fall feels like here in Blazingly Hot Sunny South Florida, however, but I like to read those words and conjure up the image just the same. The picture below was taken by my sister-in-law a couple of years ago when we were touring the Great Smoky Mountains with her daughter and my other niece. What a great time it was. We were actually there running away from hurricanes that year. What we found was a great change.....of scenery, of atmosphere, of thoughts in general.



This picture has become my screen saver. If I look very closely at it, I can hear the water running and feel the coolness one can only experience here. I know if you've ever been there, you know exactly what I mean.

I've been longing for this place of late. Maybe it is because of the peace and calm that overcomes me in this park. Life is interesting. I say that to myself many times a day. We never know what the next day or even minute will bring. We can't control it....only roll with it. What comes our way is not always what we wish for or expect. Life has been interesting to me lately. I learned many years ago that the control of it all lies within the hands of Our Father, who I keep saying must think I'm a very strong person....that I can handle a lot. If He believes in me that way, I need to also. It's the giving it up that makes us stronger, don't you think? That sounds like an oxymoron, but it's true. So.......like the water that endlessly runs in the mountains above, I will continue to have faith that life will run over some rocks on some days and flow smoothly on others.

Wishing you all......warm wishes and sweet dreams,

Carol

5 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Such a beautiful post, Carol. Do you find it amazing that as we reach this time in our lives we all seem to have the realization that, "wow. life is so, so very hard...not at all what I thought" When you're young you have so much energy to deal with what life throws at you but now, at our age, it is definitely different. Our faith in the Lord can sustain us and our strong relationships with loved ones. Wishing you wonderful days ahead! xxoo, Dawn

Carol Keller Bass said...

Hi Dawn. Thank you for your encouraging words. They mean so much to me. I wish you a wonderful trip this week. I can't wait to hear all the great details!!! Carol

Suzanne said...

Hi Carol~ I've come via my friend Lana's blog (Honeysuckle Lane). Your blog is beautiful and the music is so soothing...as is the photo of the bridge and brook. Life does have a way of throwing pebbles, rocks and even boulders in our way, but knowing God is helping us over them helps with the journey. Thank you for the reminder!

Lana Manis said...

Hi Carol ~ Oh I am certainly one of those who LOVES autumn!

I'll have to agree. I think there's strength in learning to lean on One who is able to bear our burdens.

Let me share a verse with you that my Mom loved:
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

Take Care & God Bless!
Lana

Carol Keller Bass said...

Suzanne & Lana - Isn't this medium so incredible?? I feel as though I have met so many new and wonderful people without actually meeting you!! Where else could this ever happen. I appreciate your notes so very much. I wish you both blessed moments all day today!!! Carol